Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Positive Perspective

I know that I am naturally a pessimistic person. I naturally see the 'bad' or negative in everything in life. It takes a lot of work on my part to see things from a positive perspective. But I try anyway. I don't want to be that person who always bursts others' bubbles, or tramps on their dreams. I actually don't do that; I see the negative, but I usually keep it to myself.

When it comes to my own life, that's a whole different story.

I can blame the weather, the lack of income, circumstances, and a million other things for the way I feel about my life. The truth is, I have to practice what I preach, so to speak. I am a firm believer that if you don't like something in your life, you must change it. No one is ever going to come knocking on your front door to offer you the 'perfect' job (if there even is such a thing). Or to hand you a detailed plan on how to make your life happier. Or to give you the 'secret' to getting rich, or whatever. 

I will try my hardest over the next few months to see the good in everything in life. Yes, my job is stressful, but at least I have employment and am able to work. True, it seems like we are not getting any further ahead with our finances, but we are now better equipped to deal with things than we ever have been before. I'm not pretending that everything will turn out all right anymore, but I'm also not giving up. I won't let the negativity that is in my head keep me from doing what needs to be done.

After all, we only have one life, and I intend on making the most out of what I've got.

We are facing a situation right now that seems a bit absurd to me, but I'm not so sure that I can change it in any way. It is what it is. I am determined to make the best of it, regardless of the outcome. I choose to see the 'good' in the situation. Maybe it's time for this thing to happen, so that other good things can happen to us as well. In the meantime, I'm learning a very valuable lesson. One that will never need repeating. I'm hopeful that we will come out of it without too much damage.

Having said all that, all is well on the home front. We put away the tree and decorations for another year. Most of the gifts have found a home in our small space. I have months of decluttering and purging ahead of me. I need to get all of last years bills, receipts and invoices organised for when I have to be ready for income tax time. ( I won't ever file late, ever again!) I have to get all of my handcrafting stuff organised and truly make it into a side hustle. I did manage to get my hands on a Kit Kat Christmas tin. The one with the coin slot in the lid. I'll be using that as my 'sealed pot' instead of making one from plastic canvas.

I have mountains of laundry to do, and am about to get the kitchen cleaned up. Ham and scalloped potatoes for dinner, I think. *Crossing fingers* - I just hope I won't have to leave the house today and drive anywhere. The snow is not looking appealing to me today.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you! My BFF is a pessimist too & the glass is always 1/2 empty. I think trying to see the good in everything really changes your perspective on life! Glad you were able to find a kit-kat tin! Hubby brought me home a smarties tin as well, but it'll be quite a while before that one gets fed! ;) lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am naturally pessimistic too, and I really hate it. I have a friend that is so marvelous at looking for the good in everything, and I strive to be more like her. I am right with you on this one and will be using this year to change my thinking around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm visiting a few different blogs and I'm over from Carla. I'm enjoying be part of low or no spend for January.
    If you don't mind sense I'm new here...I think it best to look at the world honest. If you see it in truthful way one can take care of what is at hand.
    I don't like “the cup is ½ empty or ½ full” same thing.
    We to took our Christmas tree down it start to have a strange order. We use a real tree. Hope you have a few minutes to stop over for some coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A therapist I had at one time told me "You are the keeper of your happiness". She was a wonderful girl :). What I have learned is that every time I start thinking bad thoughts I interject a positive one cause life is not always roses and sunshine but we can chose to interject a little sunshine into our thoughts.
    Good luck, it's actually hard work to change the grooves our minds are used to traveling.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work with a few pessimists and believe me they don't even TRY to see the bright side of things.
    I am a firm believer that is you think happy thoughts and paste a smile on your face you will start to feel happier. I read a Dale Carnegie book years ago about worry. (I come from a long line of worriers!) He said essentially the same thing - people will respond to your smile by smiling back and that makes you feel better.
    Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes a "...naturally pessimistic person" is actually a positive person consciously or sub-consciously protecting themselves from getting hurt.

    It's easier to get let-down if you're already standing on the ground...but then you never get to experience the sheer & utter joy of flying.

    As you "think," you feel. As you feel, you radiate emotions that dictate your actions. That universal principal can either be a blessing or a horrible "catch-22."

    I LOVE your positive perspective! I think it's great that you've shared the way you feel with others who truly can relate.

    To say we live in distressing times is an understatement! Being able to find that place that feels good and STAND THERE for a while each day can be difficult; some days are better than others!

    You've made a great start: "I will try my hardest over the next few months to see the good in everything in life." Right on!!!

    You're a great writer. I'm glad I found YOUR "Positive Perspective." You inspired me today.

    Warmly,
    Jason Deierlein

    - Traumatic brain injury survivor & founder of "My Positive Perspective"

    PS - Do tell: How did your Ham & Scalloped Potatoes turn out?

    ReplyDelete