Saturday, September 24, 2011

Purple Hats and Microloans

I've written posts before about the volunteer work that I do with Keeping Kids Warm , a local charitable organization that knits and crochets items of warmth for homeless teens in our area. I attend knitting classes most Thursdays, and I am pleased to say that my skills have improved over the last year. This month, the charity is assisting in a call for help from the Middlesex London Health Unit.

Please click here to read about the call for purple hats for the month of October, to prevent Shaken Baby Syndrome/Infant Abuse. KKW is assisting by asking all of our members, volunteers, friends and associates to make at least one purple baby cap for this cause.

Yesterday, I was so very pleased to give my first micro loan with Kiva. I finally figured out how to put money from a pre-paid credit card into a Pay pal account, then transfer it over to my Kiva account, so that I can actually lend that money out. I loaned to a group of women in the Dominican Republic who are starting businesses to provide for their families. There are other deserving people who I would like to loan to, but I will have to wait until I can get another pre-paid credit card, or until the outstanding loan is paid back. I have heard many good things about Kiva, and thought I would finally give it a try.

Quiet weekend at home, so I'm knitting and trying to catch up on some sleep.

Have a good weekend everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that's great that you are doing a Kiva loan. I heard about this recently and am very interested in it. I really need to get off my butt, sign up and help some people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome on the KIVA loan! :) I think it's such a wonderful program!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go for knitting for a good cause! My mom does a lot of baby hats, to give to the hospital nursery, and the little hats to put on kids' thumbs when they go give blood. I'd love to learn how to do something like that!

    Kiva is on my list of things to look into soon, way to go!

    ReplyDelete