Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ramblings On Sunday

Emergency Fund Daily Savings    

July 23rd: $136 / $800
July 24th: $141 / $800

I am so sorry that I didn't do the draw for the candles yesterday. Just as I was about to log onto Blogger and do it, our hydro suddenly went out and stayed out for over two hours. By the time it had come back on, I was already asleep in bed.

I am pleased to announce that the winner of the candle draw is: Makky's Mom!
(Please send me an e-mail with your address so that I can mail them to you.)

One thing we found out last night is that the grown-ups really liked the silence from all the stuff in our home. No tv, no computer, the phone couldn't even ring, lol! DD2 still had her DSi going, so we made her shut that off too. We pulled out the wind up flashlight, the battery powered camping lamps, and lit some candles around the main living area. It was quite nice. We have another wind up flashlight, but we couldn't find it last night.  After we got cub in his bed, the three of us went and sat on the balcony and joked around for awhile. I finally decided to go to bed seeing as I was so tired. I know the lights came on shortly after that, but I didn't care.

After a chat about it tonight, hubby & I decided that Wednesdays are going to be our recurring night for no screens, and making time for family. Our only screen exception will be if we decide to watch a movie together. We'll be having dinner early those evenings, going for a walk and then doing something together. I chimed in that it would have to be something that didn't cost anything, at least for the rest of the summer. I'm already looking forward to tuning out the world on Wednesday!

Our Emergency Fund savings is going well. Only 20 days ago, we had only $15 in this account, and today we have $141. This is amazing. I want to have this account built up to $1000 as soon as possible. Now that I know I can cut our budget even more than what we had, I will be looking for every possible penny to add to it. I have a jar of coins that are ready to be rolled and counted that will be added to the E-Fund. I'm going to take 10% of the pay that I received this week and add it as well, so there's another $50.

I have a lot on my plate this week with dental appointments, work and charity meetings. I have a list ready for Tuesday so I can 'just get it done' again.

Hope you all had a good weekend folks!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of unplugged Wednesdays! I may have to suggest this to my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I love playing board games. It used to be a great way that my family spent time together when we were kids.

    Congrats Makky's Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the screen-free evening idea! I have a memory of the power going out once while I was home with my mom (I must have been 17 or 18) and we decided to light some candles, crack a bottle of wine, and try to play scrabble... It got harder to play as the bottle got emptier, of course!

    Also, way to snowflake that emergency savings fund! don't you LOVE seeing those numbers move consistently? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I won the candles! Thanks so much!!!

    Glad you enjoyed your impromptu unplugged evening!

    Good job on building up that E fund!

    ReplyDelete