Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Putting My Hands to Good Use

As you may remember from previous posts, I am involved with a local charity called Keeping Kids Warm. I've been helping out when I can for almost a year now, and was recently elected to the position of Newsletter Editor. I have absolutely no idea how to make a newsletter, but my good friend *Google* has been kind and provided me with some step-by-step instructional pages on how to create one.

The charity is hosting Knit Out London, a social gathering for for knitters, crocheters, and other fabric crafters in the Forest City and surrounding areas. It's a fantastic opportunity for some much needed community exposure for the charity and our affiliates to talk to people about our respective works. It's a time to gather ideas, make plans for the coming months, all while working on a current project in a great outdoor setting. This event leads up to the largest event of the year for our charity.

A few weeks later, during the Western Fair, Keeping Kids Warm hosts a booth in the Western Fair Farmer's Market, where we give out apples to children, sell apples by the bag, and apple cider as a source of income for our charitable works. There are also knitted, crocheted, and sewn items available for sale. We also take monetary donations, and recruit new people who want to become part of the charity, either as a knitter, crocheter, sewer or to be more involved in the workings of the charity itself.

I'm currently working a couple of projects for this event. A set of Apple Coasters in plastic canvas, and some knitted dishcloths with and Apple design. I'm hoping to have a small stash available for that week.

Yesterday, I got a call from my sister, who I am in business with making personal care products. She told me she needed some votive candles made in a certain scent. When I asked how many, she told me as many as I can produce. We have a retailer who has many events happening this summer, and wants a supply of our products on hand, as she feels they will be a big seller. This is a total turn around from our conversation of 3 weeks ago, where I understood we were putting a hold on product making for several months. I could have been making this stuff for weeks, had I known.

My resolve is to spend at least an hour per evening, making candles, knitting or stitching on plastic canvas while I watch television with my family. I have many projects that I would like to have completed this summer for both the charity and the business. My hands shall not be idle.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful cause!! :) You should post photos of your goods! I'd love to see them!

    ReplyDelete