Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November Monthly Challenge

Last month, I didn't do as well as I would have liked on my goals for the month. I wanted to fully fund our Xmas Fund, set aside some money for the baby shower, and get a few things done that I have been putting off.

With our unexpected financial surprises last month, savings sort of got put on the back burner. I only added $50 to the Xmas Fund, spent money on decorations for the baby shower, only made 1 xmas gift instead of 12, and have yet to open the new account. Boo to me for not doing enough!

Considering we had over $6000 of annual bills to pay along with our regular bills, and the fact that my income for the month was less than $500, I have to give us an A+ for October. Yes, we dipped into savings to make sure things were taken care of. But isn't that what savings are for? To help pay the the bills so that you don't use credit? I think so. If we had used our vacation money to pay our insurance bills, it's still better than taking a vacation and putting our insurances on a credit card that will take us years to pay off.

November goals:

-fully fund Xmas Fund-$269.85
-baby shower money-$500.00
-make 12 xmas gifts
-open savings accounts for kids
-payment plan for lawyer
-Wardrobe month; go through clothing for each person in house and determine what stays, what goes & what's needed still
-Xmas gifts in a jar - these were quite popular last year with our crowd, so I will make more this year, including some new recipes.

This past weekend was crazy with a Hallowe'en party we attended, moving our DD1 into her new apartment and cleaning out the old apartment, trick-or-treating, and driving all over the city several times. B, DD1, and the b/f all had to work Monday, so we tried to get the moving all finished as early on Sunday as possible. It was hectic, but we got it done.

Do you set monthly goals for yourself? Do you write them down somewhere so that you see them everyday? What helps you to accomplish those goals? Drop me a line and let me know your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I don't set monthly goals, but I do have an idea of how much money will go into which savings pots, and I try to meet those unwritten goals, though if something unexpected comes up and steals $200, I don't fret about it or feel like I didn't meet my goals...

    My goals are more long term - yearly goals so if I have a bad financial month, I have time to "recover" before grading myself with an "F".

    ReplyDelete