Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Whammy to the Budget!

Taking care of a few things that needed doing this week. Things took a quick downturn. I managed to not include our annual auto insurance expenses in our budget. How did I do that you ask? I don't really have an answer, except it somehow slipped my mind. B's auto insurance premium coupled with our renters insurance costs about $2000 per year. The specialty commercial auto insurance that I require for my business runs about $3500 per year. Looks like we're going to be spending some time juggling figures until we can come up with this money from the budget. Not the end of the world.

Then the Whammy comes. I got behind in filing my income taxes. Yes, bad, bad, I know. But it is only last years return. So I finally buckled down, crunched the numbers, and got it done. I took it to the tax preparer. Too late in the year for e-file, so a paper copy was sent to Revenue Canada. Being self-employed, I expect every year to owe approximately $1000 for the employer contribution to CPP. I was expecting only to owe about this much. Was I wrong! My tax owing for the year of 2009 is just over $4500! Now where in the heck am I going to find that kind of money?

The good news is, Revenue Canada isn't that difficult to deal with if you approach them. They will allow you to build your own payment schedule to pay off monies owed over time. It will take a bit to pay off, but it will get done. I'm through with debt. I don't like it, and I don't want it anymore!

We'll have to redo the budget one more time, and do what we can to get these items paid off as soon as possible. I just wasn't expecting an additional $10,000 in bills this week. I definately won't be caught unaware again!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, that totally sucks! I feel for you! hang in there and know that moving forward, you have a plan and you won't be caught like this again! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Makky's Mom. We hope to keep forging ahead, even with the setback.

    ReplyDelete