Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Relating the Seven Teachings to Personal Finance, Part 2

Yesterday's post was much easier to do, because I could quickly relate the Teachings of Honesty, Humility, Truth and Wisdom to my own personal finance. Today's post however, took a lot of reflection to dig deeper into my mind to see how these things related in a greater way to my world. I could have written something that only scratched the surface of these teachings, but I wanted to go deep and find real meaning for me. So here goes.

Love: unconditional love to know that when people are weak they need your love the most, that your love is given freely and you cannot put conditions on it or your love is not true;Using our money to love another is to give freely. By this I mean, providing the for our families, but also providing for others who are not as blessed as we are in life. There are those who need help, and there are thousands of charities who will help you do so, if that is the way you choose. I prefer something a little more intimate, by giving directly or almost directly to those in need. I have purchased groceries for a struggling family, and placed them outside their door. I have bought clothing and personal items for women & children in a shelter, and taken it to them. There are so many ways that we can show our love, and using our wealth to do so. I reccomend you try it.


Respect: respect others, their beliefs and respect yourself. If you cannot show respect, you cannot expect respect to be given.For me, this means to give respect to all persons, regardless of their socio-economic level. I also respect and truly believe that I have much to learn, from the struggling single parent and those who have already amassed wealth. My way is not the only way, and I respect that. Having respect for myself helps me to not be taken advantage of through my work or my generosity. Having respect for my income teaches me that income and wealth can fluctuate, and not to use dollars I have not made yet.

Bravery: to be brave is to do something right even if you know it is going to hurt you;I liken this also to living below your means. I know in my heart and mind it is the right thing to do, for myself and my family, even if it causes us discomfort. Teaching this to my children is a valuable lesson, so that they might learn the pwer of delayed gratification. Sometimes, it seems that it hurts them not to have the newest gadget or toy that all their peers seem to have. But in the long run, it is the right thing to do, to show them that having everything they want is not what equals happiness in life.

I enjoyed sharing my reflections on the Seven Great Teachings as it relates to personal finnace with you. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment