Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Baking

During the last couple of weeks, I managed to bake 4 pumpkin pies and 1 apple pie. I had the DDs help with them, except for the apple pie. I found that I love to bake things, and remember helping my mother in the kitchen eons ago, making doughnuts from my grandmother's recipe. I need more of this in my life.

I've decided that I am going to try to incorporate more baking in my time at home. I enjoy making muffins, cookies, cakes and pies. Bread is easy to do with my bread maker, so it is now enjoyable too.

It's during the fall and winter months that I take more of an interest in the kitchen and cooking duties. I like making something new for my family, especially when they like what I've prepared.

Making these things at home from scratch likely save us money, as the ingredients cost a fraction of what buying a premade/already cooked pie or cake would. Not to mention that the homemade versions of cookies, pies, muffins, etc. have more nutritional value as they are made with real ingredients, and nothing added that I can't pronounce. It feel that if you can't say it, you shouldn't be eating it.

Perhaps this year, I will make some goodies for the holidays. I'd like to try my hand at fudge, a strudel, and a few other things. If I can make some ahead of time, and freeze them for the holidays (or the upcoming baby shower), it would be very beneficial.

Got any great baking recipes to share? What would you like to cook/bake that you haven't already tried?

1 comment:

  1. I tried to make homemade fudge one year, with the cream and sugar and the candy thermometer and all that. On the sixth try I actually got something edible, although it was kind of crumbly. Don't know if I really saved any money, though....

    ReplyDelete